New Orleans Entrepreneur Week (NOEW) is the festival that celebrates entrepreneurship, innovation, and advanced thinking in the Crescent City. One week from today, a dozen startups will compete for cold hard cash at The Big Idea, the culminating event of NOEW, which has been called the world’s largest crowdfunding event.
This year, 22 New Orleans companies have been nominated by The Idea Village and its partners and put to a vote through a NOLA.com poll. The top 12 startups in the poll after it closes on Monday, March 23 at 8:00 pm will participate in The Big Idea.
Built into each ticket sold is real cash value–$25–that goes directly to the winning startup. Attendees “chip in” and give their one allotted chip to their favorite company at the event. After all votes have been counted, the three entrepreneurs with the most chip money will advance to the final round pitch and are eligible to win $25,000.
Summer Suleiman with The Idea Village has provided more about the 22 startups still in the running:
- AxoSim Technologies “Nerve-on-a-chip” technology for safer prescription drug development
- ORA Estuaries Growing oyster reefs into coastal protection infrastructure
- Passion Dance Center School for elite dances and other performing artists
- Hype Academy Homeschool, tutoring, and educational resource center
- Greenman Dan: Landscaping system that harvest rain to reduce flooding
- Earth Prime Recirculating hydroponic system for home-growing fresh produce
- Sock Spot Book/toy combo that helps kids and parents keep track of socks
- Cook Me Somethin’ Mister Easy-to-fix jambalaya and gumbo made with all N.O.
- TrueSchool Studio Research and design group for innovative classrooms and schools
- Young Scholars Educational enrichment program for families who homeschool
- CAD Printing Customized design and printing for garments, signs, banners and more
- Big Easy Bucha First commercially available kombucha made in Louisiana
- NOLA Tchoup Block A place for craftsmen to work, learn, and collaborate
- Charlotte Aquarius Inspiring women through words, quotes, and phrases on handbags
- Remedy Room Multiple hydrating therapies to energize and detoxify
- Wild Life Reserve Fashion incubator that takes brands from design to manufacturing
- Welcome to College Maximizing the impact of college visits for students and educators
- Balance Barre A fitness studio, juice bar and wellness store in one
- Magnolia Land Partners Louisiana coastal restoration funded by wetland replacement credits
- myMIX Nutrition Custom design protein powder for your own health needs
- Million Dollar Scholar Software that helps students find college scholarships
- Duchess Bed & Breakfast Contemporary bed and breakfast with a Southern ambiance
This coverage is brought to you by Peer Partners Interactive.