New Orleans Entrepreneur Week (NOEW) is the festival that celebrates entrepreneurship, innovation, and advanced thinking in the Crescent City. On Friday, March 27th, startups will compete for cold hard cash at The Big Idea, the culminating event of NOEW, which has been called the world’s largest crowdfunding event.
From an initial list of 22 contenders, only a dozen startups will be participating in The Big Idea following an online poll that helped select the finalists.
Built into each ticket sold is real cash value–$25–that goes directly to the winning startup. Attendees “chip in” and give their one allotted chip to their favorite company at the event. After all votes have been counted, the three entrepreneurs with the most chip money will advance to the final round pitch and are eligible to win $25,000.
Meet the 12 startups selected for The Big Idea below:
- AxoSim Technologies – “Nerve-on-a-chip” technology for safer prescription drug development
- Earth Prime – Recirculating hydroponic system for home-growing fresh produce
- Welcome to College – Maximizing the impact of college visits for students and educators
- CAD Printing – Customized design and printing for garments, signs, banners and more
- ORA Estuaries – Growing oyster reefs into coastal protection infrastructure
- TrueSchool Studio – Research and design group for innovative classrooms and schools
- Sock Spot – Book/toy combo that helps kids and parents keep track of socks
- Young Scholars – Educational enrichment program for families who homeschool
- Hype Academy – Home school, tutoring, and educational resource center
- Greenman Dan: – Landscaping system that harvest rain to reduce flooding
- Passion Dance Center – School for elite dances and other performing artists
- Cook Me Somethin’ Mister – Easy-to-fix jambalaya and gumbo made with all N.O.