AOL co-founder and investor Steve Case was in New Orleans last week with $100,000 in tow for one New Orleans startup.
Case, along with venture capital firm Revolution Ventures, Google for Entrepreneurs and UP Global was in town as part of the third Rise of the Rest Road Trip, this time in the south.
Rise of the Rest seeks to celebrate startup communities across the country that are gaining momentum and rising up as entrepreneurs. The road trip wants to accelerate these cities and towns to build upon the next wave of entrepreneurship.
Following a fireside chat with native New Orleanian Walter Isaacson, Case hosted seven local startups at a pitch competition where the winner would take home the big check.
GoToInterview, an on-demand video interviewing platform for high-turn industries, walked away with $100,000. Founder Crystal McDonald explained the platform to Case and the other judges as an easy, streamlined way for employers and job seekers to connect.
The other participating startups included:
- PlantBid – business to business marketplace for the professional horticulture products industry
- WhereY’Art – marketplace and social network connecting artists/buyers
- Servato – industrial internet of things solution provider
- Get Healthy – software and services powering direct primary care revolution
- Welcome to College – helps colleges optimize the college visit and enroll optimal fit students
- Community Health TV – multicultural, multi-platform health media company