The New Louisiana Angel Fund 1 (NLAF 1) is an angel capital fund based in Shreveport that has just invested in its 10th company in addition to three follow-on investments to close out 2016.
The $2.6 million fund, which was organized by the Biomedical Research Foundation (BRF) in 2014, is expected to be fully committed by the middle of this year.
“Our young startups here in North Louisiana are in various stages of fundraising. We anticipate seeing some great growth among these companies in the coming year. NLAF 1 is a founder friendly group that has been eager to be involved in the early stages,” said BRF CEO and President John F. George Jr., M.D.
With the close of NLAF 1, the Foundation is working to launch the New Louisiana Angel Fund 2 that will include many of the 53 accredited investors from Fund 1 in as well as new investors.
“NLAF 2 will continue this effort and will begin evaluating more startups this year,” said George.
Meet the NLAF 1 portfolio:
- Embera NeuroThereaputics – Clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on smoking cessation, cocaine dependence and other addiction
- Swaybox Studios – Film and TV media technology studio that specializes in puppetry
- Lagniappe Labs – Research company with system to determine the value of privately held companies
- Mainspree – An E-commerce platform for small retailers using social media
- Innolyzer – Science technology company offering a “lab on a chip” concept that measures hydrogen sulfide
- Highly Favored Creations – Pet product company specializing in pet health and longevity
- CyberReef – Technology company that makes machine-to-machine communication more secure
- EndoPro Solutions – Medical technology company fighting obesity
- SkyCoach – Software company aiding coaches in capturing and analyzing plays
- Segue Therapeutics – Pharmaceutical company focused on cancer drug development