The Delta Regional Authority (DRA) welcomed nearly 50 entrepreneurs and support organizations throughout the eight state region at its annual Delta Entrepreneur Showcase during New Orleans Entrepreneur Week (NOEW).
SOMAVAC Medical Solutions was named the winner of the Showcase. The Tennessee-based business has created a wearable, post-surgical drainage device that supports patients recovery.
Co-founder Josh Herwig (pictured above) accepted the award on behalf of the company. “This is an incredible opportunity to help build our business and give it the boost it needs to gain more publicity and attention,” Herwig said.
Sixteen entrepreneurs were set up at the NOEW campus last night, pitching their businesses to attendees in hopes of winning the crowd favorite vote.
New Orleans-based HABERDAShe, founded by Smydge Perry, won over the crowd and took home the “Crowd Favorite” award. “This experience with the DRA has been a great opportunity to network with emerging entrepreneurial talent in the Delta region and I am grateful for this access to technical experience and mentorships,” said Perry .
The other 14 entrepreneurs featured at the Showcase last night include:
- B-G Safety Systems, Marcus Boykin, Lexington, TN
- Betaflix, Sreenivasa Sanakam, Ruston, LA
- Bootsie’s Delta Funk BBQ, Peter Grumbles, Pope, MS
- Cocoa Belle Chocolates, Carmen Portillo, Little Rock, AR
- Cosmetic Car Tech, Jason Todt, Marble Hill, MO
- Edible Education, Ann Butler, Cape Girardeau, MO
- EntreLinc, Amelia Thomas, Memphis, TN
- KALIKOE Galaxy, Quentin Allen, Pine Bluff, AR
- My Veggie Chef, Mark Rigdon, Cape Girardeau, MO
- Myra Mirrors, Pontus Andersson, Oxford, MS
- Nature’s Own Carol’s Spring Water, Moses Weaver, Tuskegee, AL
- RaftUp, Corey Boelkens, Little Rock, AR
- Skycision, Brendan Carroll, Memphis, TN
- Think I.N.K., Carl Morgan, Tuskegee, AL
“DRA is proud to showcase all these Delta businesses that will contribute to the growth of our region and will be a part of our efforts to help create jobs and let the world know that the Delta is open for business,” said DRA Chairman Chris Masingill. “SOMAVAC showcases to the world what the Delta represents. All of our participants embody the entrepreneurial spirit that is thriving across the Delta, and they will play a vital role in the continued economic development and job creation in our communities.”