Over the weekend, the Shreveport Bossier area was thrilled to bring together participants for its own Startup Weekend, a 54-hour event where the goal is to launch a startup with help from sponsors and business leaders as coaches.
76 participants pitched 38 ideas and formed 11 teams. 33 sponsors helped make the event possible. The teams fought for the grand prize, a $10,000 consulting package which included, but not limited to:
- A membership with the Bossier City Chamber of Commerce
- A membership with the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
- One hour of business and venture capital consulting with Stewart Hamel of Hamel Interests
- Four hours of design branding consultation with Williams Creative Group
- A promotional video from Nerdy By Design
- Professional headshots and disc from Mollie Corbett Photography
- Two hours of legal consulting from Cook, Yancey, King, & Galloway
The 11 finalists pitched Sunday night to judges Rand Falbaum, Ross Barrett, John Atkins, John George, MD, and Matthew Cameron. The startups formed were from a range of specialties and were chosen to further their businesses during the weekend. The companies include EvoHere, Chair Force One, Wager Wars,On Par, HelpFlix, Direnzic Technology & Consulting, Dr. Gnostic, Über Productions, Motion Fitness, My Dream Home, and Beefy PC. Wager Wars came out on top, taking home the grand prize.
Facilitator Wendy Overton told participants that “It’s not about the idea. It’s about the team. Even if your idea isn’t chosen, your skills are needed by someone else.”
For more information and to stay connected to the Shreveport Bossier Startup Weekend, follow hashtag #SBSW on Twitter and check out the website.