The Satellite Center Video & Animation Festival (SCVAF), which showcases the creativity of high school students from the Greater New Orleans area, is preparing for its 8th annual festival to be held in April 2013. Students’ projects are judged in the following categories:
- Animation: Short film/Documentary, PSA/Commercial, and Music video
- Video: Short film, Documentary, News/Sports, PSA/Commercial, Music video
- Experimental: Video or animation
According to the SCVAF team, their mission is to, “provide an environment of inspiration for students; provide the opportunity for students and other festival participants to learn from and to network with industry leaders; provide insight into career opportunities within the industry; and develop an appreciation for animation and film in the general public.”
The festival gives students a chance to show off their work in front of real industry professionals and screen in front of an audience of hundreds. Confirmed judges include Justin Granger and Marlene Sharp for animation and Hamp Overton and Jim Gabour for video.
The schedule of events is as follows (both will be held at the Professional Learning Center in St. Charles Parish. Admission for the event is free and it is open to the public):
- Festival screening – Friday, April 12, 2013 from 4:00 pm to 7pm
- Awards – Friday, April 12, 2013 from 7:15 pm to 8:15 pm.