Louisiana Health Cooperative’s (LAHC) mission is to promote community health and well-being by engaging the members and providers it serves in the valued delivery of high quality, integrated health care services.
LAHC will provide an affordable and accessible health insurance option for Louisiana’s technology professionals, especially those that do not benefit from group health insurance.
The non-profit was selected in September 2012 by the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to create and operate a Consumer Oriented and Operated Plan (CO-OP) statewide. This CO-OP is directed by its members, uses profits for members’ benefit and is designed to offer individuals and small businesses, such as startup employees and freelancers, affordable, high-quality health insurance options.
Important LAHC Dates:
- September 28, 2012 – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) selects LAHC to create and operate a Consumer Oriented and Operated Plan, or “CO-OP” statewide
- May 8, 2013 – Louisiana Department of Insurance grants LAHC a license to operate as an insurer statewide
- October 1, 2013 – Open enrollment begins
- January 1, 2014 – Coverage begins for members enrolled in a health insurance plan
- March 31, 2014 – Open enrollment ends
LAHC also recently announced the selection of a new CEO, Greg Cromer. He is a Louisiana native with extensive knowledge of the health insurance industry and leadership on the state level.
“We are a non-profit company,” said Cromer, “focusing on members and not profits. We are poised to serve the entire state of Louisiana by offering guaranteed issue, quality health insurance. No one will be turned down or rated-up for pre-existing health conditions. LAHC is a tremendous asset to our state.” For more information, visit mylahc.org.