AOL co-founder Steve Case, along with venture capital firm Revolution Ventures, Google for Entrepreneurs and UP Global are out on the third Rise of the Rest Road Trip around the south, including a stop in New Orleans.
Rise of the Rest seeks to celebrate startup communities across the country that are gaining momentum and rising up as entrepreneurs. The road trip wants to accelerate these cities and towns to build upon the next wave of entrepreneurship.
Organizers say the tour is part of a national effort to shine a spotlight on one of the most important trends shaping the U.S. economy today: a confluence of factors that are making it easier for startups to launch and create jobs and innovation in places like New Orleans, not just in Silicon Valley.
Eight local startups have been selected to pitch next Friday, May 8th, in front of an all-star panel of judges including: Steve Case, Revolution; Jean Case, The Case Foundation; Irvin Mayfield, American jazz trumpeter and bandleader; and Zach Strief, New Orleans Saints.
The New Orleans pitch will feature the following startups:
- GoToInterview – on-demand video interviewing platform for high-turn industries
- PlantBid – business to business marketplace for the professional horticulture products industry
- WhereY’Art – marketplace and social network connecting artists/buyers
- Servato – industrial internet of things solution provider
- Get Healthy – software and services powering direct primary care revolution
- Million Dollar Scholar – transforming how schools and parents prepare students to pay for college
- Welcome to College – helps colleges optimize the college visit and enroll optimal fit students
- Community Health TV – multicultural, multi-platform health media company
During his time in New Orleans, Case will host a series of public and private events and visit with entrepreneurs, investors, CEOs, political leaders, and others in the startup community. A more detailed schedule is below:
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
Jean Case & Steve Case: Inclusive Entrepreneurship Event, BioInnovation Center, 1441 Canal Street
10:15 AM – 11:30 AM
Startup Crawl: Federated Sample, Idea Village
11:30 AM – 12:15 PM
“Krewe de Nieux” Mardi Gras-Style Rise of the Rest Entrepreneur Float
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Fireside Chat with Steve Case (Revolution), moderated by Walter Isaacson, CEO of The Aspen Institute, Author of “The Innovators,” and former editor of Time & CEO of CNN, New Orleans Jazz Market, 1436 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard
3:15 PM – 5:00 PM
Rise of the Rest Pitch Competition for $100,000, New Orleans Jazz Market, 1436 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Startup Celebration and Happy Hour to award $100,000 to pitch competition winner New Orleans Jazz Market, 1436 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard
More information is available at www.riseoftherest.com and by following #RiseOfRest on Twitter and Instagram.