Each year, businesses in the New Orleans area are recognized at the Green Games Awards Gala for their commitment to building a sustainable New Orleans.
The recent awards ceremony was held by LifeCity, a membership-based organization that makes social and environmental impact profitable for businesses, and partners the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce, Global Green, and Natural Awakenings magazine.
Over 140 businesses were recognized this year, including 15 that won won Sustainability Excellence and Sustainability Achievement awards in seven categories. The winners of Sustainability Excellence have been awarded $500 to go toward sustainability improvements in the 2015-2016 year.
Award winner Carla Robertson said, “It’s been so exciting to witness our energy usage go down so significantly this past year as a result of green decisions like solar and insulation. I also love sharing my philosophy of living more lightly, conducting zero waste events, and eating locally.”
The award categories are explained below.
- Sustainability Excellence: Overall leadership in sustainable practices and operations
- Sustainability Achievement: Great progress over the last year in sustainability practices
- Innovation: Company implementing a new practice that dramatically increases the positive impact of their operations
- People’s Choice: Voted on at the Green Games Gala by the attendees, most popular sustainable business
The winners of the fourth annual Green Games, by category, are as follows:
Tourism and Cultural Preservation
- Sustainability Excellence: Downtown Development District
- Sustainability Achievement: Hotel Modern
Schools and Public Entities
- Sustainability Excellence: New Orleans Charter Math and Science High School
- Sustainability Achievement: Rayne Memorial Methodist Church
Food & Drink Establishments
- Sustainability Excellence: Café Carmo
- Sustainability Achievement: Breads on Oak
- Sustainability Excellence: New Orleans Food Co-op
- Sustainability Achievement: Habitat for Humanity Restore
- Sustainability Excellence: NOLA Brewing
- Sustainability Achievement: Lighthouse Louisiana
Building, Energy, and Environmental Services
- Sustainability Excellence: Joule
- Sustainability Achievement: EarthPrime
Health and Human Services
- Sustainability Excellence: AMCREF Community Capital
- Sustainability Achievement: Living Wild and Precious
- Other Bar