The French Quarter restaurant SoBou, part of the Commander’s family, has taken its weekly Barpreneurs lunch sessions where participants discuss business and more to the next level: a school. Barpreneurs School is where entrepreneurs in the hospitality world can learn the skills they need to help their businesses thrive.
Insight and advice from experts in attendance is completely free, all you have to do is register. Those looking to showcase their hospitality startup or idea have the opportunity each week to pitch their ideas to the group and receive feedback from the teachers.
The idea for the school came from Ti Martin, co-proprietor of Commander’s Palace, and seasoned business mentor and host of Barpreneurs J. Anthony Miguez. “Ti is very involved with Idea Village in New Orleans and wanted to support our entrepreneurs by providing a place for them to meet and network,” said a representative. “We brought in J. as our startup expert, and our very first ‘Barpreneur,’ as our bridge to the community. It was his idea to bring in a new expert every week. After talking, we all realized we were essentially inviting entrepreneurs to attend weekly learning sessions – ‘school.’”
The School will be held every Friday at noon from now until March 4 (excluding February 5 for Mardi Gras). Perks include free advice from experts in startups, business and entrepreneurship, free valet parking as space permits, free WiFi, 25-cent martinis, and lunch specials.
Each week, a new teacher shares expertise from their field—from social media marketing and logo design to investments and patent law—leading up to New Orleans Entrepreneur Week in March.
The schedule of sessions is as follows:
- January 15 – Megan Hargroder: Leverage social media for your startup and small biz
- January 22 – Michael Eckert: Investments – what you need to know
- January 29 – Kelly Tesvich: Principles of Design – your logo is more than a “profile pic”
- February 4 – NO SCHOOL: Mardi Gras season
- February 12 – Tereson Dupuy: Brand Identity – Learn how to communicate who and what you are as a brand and differentiate yourself from the rest
- February 19 – Knud Berthelsen: The New Face of Business – online tools and how to use them
- February 26 – Seth Nehrbass: Patent Law – what you need to know
- March 4 – Peter Ricchiuti and Grant Morris: Out to Lunch – pitch to these guys to be on their radio show and learn what works and what doesn’t
This year’s Silicon Bayou 100 was made possible by sponsors 365 Connect, a leading provider of award-winning marketing, leasing and resident technology platforms for the multifamily housing industry, and LookFar, a software development studio. Beer from our beverage sponsor, the startup brewery Cajun Fire, will also be provided.