We are knee-deep in NOEW 2012, but there is still an incredible amount of action to come. The goal – 1,000 people at The Big Idea, on Friday afternoon at Manning’s. If you haven’t already received your tickets, please be on the lookout and keep spreading the word!
SOME RECENT HIGHLIGHTS:
· We had an inspirational dinner Monday night at Dooky Chase with the MBAs, entrepreneurs, and 2012 Brees Dream Foundation/Idea Village Trust Your Crazy Ideas Challenge winning team from Edna Karr. The highlight was hearing from our great host and New Orleans entrepreneur Leah Chase herself.
· Yesterday morning, The Idea Village hosted the National Advisory Council on Innovation & Entrepreneurship’s (NACIE) quarterly meeting at Gallier Hall. NACIE members include investors, and policy and business leaders. Those members in attendance were: Desh Deshpande, Chairman, A123 Systems / Deshpande Foundation; Tom Alberg, Managing Director, Madrona Venture Group; Tom Baruch, Founding Partner, CMEA Ventures; Claude Canizares, Vice Provost for Research, MIT; Curt Carlson, President & CEO, SRI; Christina Gabriel, Professor, Carnegie Mellon University, former VP Innovation, Heinz Endowment; Barron Harvey, Dean, Howard University School of Business; Ray Leach, CEO, Jumpstart; Ken Morse, Director, MIT Entrepreneurship Center; Bud Peterson, President, Georgia Tech; Michael Roberts, CEO, The Roberts Companies; RoseAnn Rosenthal, CEO, Ben Franklin Technology Partners; Ping Fu, CEO, Geomagic; Charles Vest, President, National Academy of Engineering; Jeffrey Wadsworth, CEO, Batelle Labs.
· The overflowing sessions at The IP included: Get Funded by Jones Walker; NODE: The Business of Music; Act Like a Buyer Think Like a Seller; and From the Dorm Room to the Board Room.
· After winning the NOEW2012 salesforce.com Challenge on Monday, Whetstone Education began meeting with the salesforce.com team for support in implementing their $5,000 worth of free software.
· Programming concluded with two keynotes: Under Secretary of Commerce David Kappos and Michael Karnjanaprakorn, CEO of Skillshare.
· Last night marked the most popular night of the week with dine-arounds at the homes of Mary & Bill Hines, Elly & Merritt Lane, Linda & Neil Baum, Margaret & Ken Beer, and Marlena & Michael Hecht. There is no better form of recruitment than true New Orleans-style hospitality so thank you to our hosts.
· Take a look at some of the pictures of the all the action on the Idea Village Facebook page.
· Dr. Sarah Mack of Tierra Resources with Idea Village EIR’s Kevin Wilkins and Doug Walner after winning the $50,000 Water Challenge Pitch on Monday.
ON TAP FOR TODAY, 3/14:
· Think Tank with Garland Robinette will be live from The Idea Village hub from 10am – 1pm.
· Sessions at The IP include: Protect Your Assets by Jones Walker; Accounting and Tax Basics for Entrepreneurs by Kushner Lagraize; Making the Sale: The Art of Persuasion and Influence; GOOGLE 101 and GOOGLE 201; The Mobile Revolution & Your Business: How Mobile Capabilities and Payments Are Changing the Game; Taking Your Start-Up To The Cloud by Salesforce; Online Marketing Strategy by FSC Interactive; Creating an online presence by a panel of Blog Experts.
· A can’t miss keynote from Walter Isaacson, President and CEO of the Aspen Institute, at The IP from 3:30pm – 5pm.
· The Education Entrepreneur Challenge, a collaboration between Teach For America, The Idea Village, 4.0 Schools, Google and the Coleman Foundation, will culminate tomorrow afternoon in a pitch competition. Four finalists will compete to win a $10,000 grand prize, sponsored by Google.
· French Market Coffee is powering a NOEW tent at Wednesday at the Square. Stop by The Idea Village to pick up a VIP wristband.
WHERE you need to be
French Market Coffee Entrepreneur Experience at Wednesday at the Square, Lafayette Square
March 14, 2012 @ 5pm
IDEApitch at Manning’s Restaurant, 519 Fulton Street
March 16, 2012 @ 1pm – 3:30pm
The Big Idea at Manning’s Restaurant Courtyard
March 16, 2012 @ 4pm – 7pm
NOEW Closing Celebration, Manning’s Restaurant